Monday, April 23, 2012

The house - upstairs

I'll start on the upper floor as most of the rooms are finished. There are 3 completed bedrooms, 1 in progress and 1 yet to be started. The 1 yet to be started is currently being used as a storage room and is packed to the rafters with stuff. I'm not sure exactly what all the stuff is, but there is a lot of it.

Also there is a bathroom and a separate toilet. A long corridor divides the space in 2 halves and runs the complete length of the house from front to back. At the front in the hall, there is a dormer window, which looks out over the main road.

All the rooms are of a similar size, bathroom and bedrooms. However the storage room and the bathroom both are slightly smaller and the staircase comes up at that point, so there is a corner from both rooms used for this.

Above is a very simplified floor plan, which is not to scale, but it still gives a good overview. The walls are, in most cases, much thicker than shown here. And in fact the toilet is built into the wall between the bathroom and bedroom 3. We don't have any on-suites, but this was a deliberate choice as we aren't fans of them and it's not really necessary. Of course when the children get older we might change our minds....

I wanted to put in the room sizes, but I'm not at home at the moment and I didn't do any preparation work before writing this post. They are, if I remember rightly, about 4 by 5 meters (13ft by 16.5ft approx.). As I said before they are all roughly the same size. I've ignore the wall thickness, but some are very thick, because they are concealing chimneys that come up from the ground floor. Hence there is space for a toilet, which was originally going to be a cupboard before we realised that it made far more sense to take the toilet out of the bathroom.

I like big(ger) rooms rather than small ones. So none of the rooms in the house are less that 16 square meters (52 square foot). It's one of the reasons we bought this particular old house. It doesn't have that many rooms, but they are all of a good size and can be used as we want.

I promise, at some point, to actually put the real numbers up at some point, including the hall, stairwell etc. It just won't happen not today.

OK so that's the basic floor plan without windows. I'll write another post about that as it involves roof windows and roof domes.

No comments:

Post a Comment